Monday, July 29, 2013

Better Than Lasgana: An Italian Casserole

I've been making this casserole for many years.  It's an adaptation of a casserole my Mother-in-Law contributed to a Mardi Gras Krewe cookbook.  It has been kind of a "loose" recipe, not really using exact measurements.  I've tried to get the measurements down here. Sometimes, I add alittle more of one thing or another depending on how it looks. Either way, it does seem to always come out delicious. 
 
Most of the time now, instead of using can or jarred sauce, I've been using my Authentic Slow Cooked Italian Meatsauce. Mmmm, mmm, mmm talk about good!
 


Better than Lasagna  

1 lb ground beef
1 lb italian sausage
10 oz noodles, gluten free
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
2 28 oz cans of tomato sauce or 10 cups of Homemade Meatsauce
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
salt
pepper
8-10 oz grated Mozzarella cheese

Make meat sauce. I actually think you need a little more than 56 oz, but I can't remember I always try to error on the side of having too much sauce. )In the end, about 10 cups of meatsauce seems right.  If I end up with extra sauce, some times I use it to make pita pizzas.

Boil and drain noodles according to package directions. Feel free to use gluten free. 

Combine with cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese and about 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in large bowl.  Season with salt, pepper, basil and parsley. (Fresh is best, but dried will do.)
 

Spray a large casserole dish with olive oil. I use a 9x9 most of the time, but having a generous dish like an 9 x 13 is probably advisable.  

Cover the bottom with sauce, then layer noodle mixture on top, then another layer of sauce.  Finish with mozzarella cheese and a little more Parmesan and parsley to the top. 

Bake at 350 until brown on top about 30 minutes. (Or I often do 475 for 20 minutes, if I'm in a hurry.)

Like I said I use a a deep dish 9x9 pan most of the time now and that works out nicely with almost 10 cups of my homemade sauce I either prepare before hand or I pull out of the freezer.  You can also use two smaller dishes and have one to freeze or share.

No comments:

Post a Comment