Monday, June 10, 2013

Baby Back Ribs



Delicious, slow cooked ribs done up to perfection on the grill.  I don't have the original source for this recipe.  I know I've been making changes along the way.

Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: About 4 hrs


Dry rub

3 tsp sugar
3 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp. salt, kosher salt is best
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 good dashes cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 tsp BBQ 3000 from Penzey's
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Directions:

Cooking low and slow at about 225°F, so allow 5 to 6 hours for St. Louis Cut ribs and 3 to 4 hours for baby back ribs. Thicker, meatier slabs take longer.

On our grill I turned on the outside burners to medium and the center ones off. I had two racks and I cut each in half. I cooked for about 3 hours and they were perfect.

Here's a tip from the source I had: Set up your grill for a meatless trial run so you can learn how to tweak the dials and vents to get it to 225°F. If you have a gas grill, use only one burner as described in my article setup for a gas grill. Put a disposable aluminum pan with water on top of the hot burner(s). Moisture and combustion gases in a propane grill combine to create a seductive, bacon-like flavor in the meat. If it has only one burner, put the water pan between the meat and the burner. If you have a charcoal grill, start a full chimney, about 80 briquets, push the coals all the way to one side as in the photo and as described in best setup for a charcoal grill. You can use a water pan, but it is not necessary.


These come out excellent everytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment