Monday, July 22, 2013

The Best Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie


The very first thing I needed to master when I went gluten free was chocolate chip cookies. After many tries at strange flour combinations, I finally decided to go back to our favorite type of chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal chocolate chip. I just had to figure out how to make them without any flour.

This is recipe is the most perfect rendition of that pursuit. A nice soft, chewy cookie with lots of peanut butter.  They even stay soft after a few days in an airtight container, but I bet they won't be around long at your house either.

In an effort to make them even healthier, I use coconut oil instead of butter.  I've discovered I really like using coconut oil in baking, because not only does it have many health benefits, it behaves almost like shortening. If you haven't used coconut oil before this is a great place to start. You can use butter, but trust me on this one.

It does look a little different when you "cream" your sugars with coconut oil.


 Once you add the eggs, vanilla and baking soda it looks more like a normal cookie batter.


Next add your peanut butter, flax seed, chocolate chips and lastly oatmeal. Mix until well combined.

I like to use a cookie scoop to place my cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


You can see from this photo that I now use dark chocolate chips.  Chocolate heaven I tell you!

This is what they look like right out of the oven.


If you are a fan of a crunchier cookie, just bake until they get a bit darker than what you see here.

The Best Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ingredients
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted, or softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
1/4 cup flax seed meal
6 oz chocolate chips
2 3/4 cups rolled oats

Directions
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil in a large bowl. Beat until combined and kind of creamy. It will be much more grainy in consistency than you are used to with butter. Add eggs, vanilla, and baking soda, mix well. Add peanut butter and flax seed meal and mix. Stir in chocolate chips and then the oats.

Place dough by heaping teaspoons, or a medium cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden on the edges.

Makes approximately 48 cookies. Try not to eat them all in one day.

Because most of my family prefer all cookies hot, I generally make 2 sheets of cookies and then save the rest of the dough in the fridge for about a week. Then I make one more tray and they disappear in a flash. :)

Not only do I think these cookies are gluten free perfection, even those who could care less about gluten think these cookies are pretty darn amazing. I recently made "regular" chocolate chip cookies and my husband thought they tasted funny.

The recipe easily adapts to more glamorous desserts like Deep Dish Cookie ala Mode or Caramelitas.  These recipes definitely give you more amazing gluten free dessert options.



You know you want to Pin it! Here's another chance! ;)

Shared here: Holiday Baking @ A Stroll thru Life


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently not able to eat gluten, dairy, or caffeine (including chocolate) and have been struggling with what to bake. These look amazing and I pinned the recipe so I could try them without the chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete