Monday, August 12, 2013

Zesty & Crunchy Broccoli Salad


 

I recently needed to bring a side dish to a BBQ and remembered that my dear friend told me about a recipe for broccoli salad she had made. She was out of town at the time, so I had to wing it.  Here's the recipe I came up with.  I'm happy to report is was a big hit!  I even got several requests for the recipe.
 
The one thing I wanted to avoid in the salad was any kind of dried fruit.  Don't get me wrong I'm not a raisin or dried cranberry hater, I just don't enjoy sweet salads.  I wanted something a little more zesty.  I think the lemon and basil are subtle changes that fresh and new!

Zesty & Crunchy Broccoli Salad

8 slices of bacon
7-8 cups broccoli florets, from about 3 heads
2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pinch dried lemon peel or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
6 oz grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup sunflower seeds, roasted unsalted
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Toss salad ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. 

Chill for 1 hour or longer before serving. Best made and served the same day, but totally enjoyable as leftovers. Trust me, there was only a little left after the picnic and it was still very good.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment