Monday, August 12, 2013

Mom's Pulled Pork

This is my mother's excellent technique for making pulled pork in the oven. It's one of those fail proof recipes you'd expect to get from your mom. :) Love you, mom!


My mom and her husband love to smoke meat.  They regularly smoke salmon, alligator and turkey so it was suprising to me, when I asked her for a recipe for pulled pork, that she would tell me she makes hers in the oven.  I had my doubts, but this is the best!

After a few years, of following her recipe exactly, I decided to forgo her rub that included a soup mix and other spice mixes and use basic spices to make my own rub.


The crusty outside that comes from a higher temperature of the oven followed by a nice, slow and low approach is completely no-fail.  


As far as a cut of pork, I use a pork butt roast most of the time. I haven't noticed a difference with bone in or not.  I do tend to cut the roast in half. It cooks a little bit faster and there is more surface to add the rub to!

I know many people like the convenience of pulled pork in a crock pot, but I much prefer it cooked in the oven.  The crusty outside is the absolute best and I don't think you can get that from a crock pot. 

After I pull the pork, I make sure to mix the meat with all the delicious juices at the bottom of the pan.

I never use any BBQ sauce on my bun.  My boys, on the other hand, like to top it with a sweet bbq sauce.  To each his own!

Mom's Pulled Pork

Ingredients

Pork Butt Roast, Boston Butt
Liquid Smoke

Dry rub
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp chili powder
Good dash cayenne pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp smoky BBQ seasoning, like Penzey's BBQ 3000

1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's

1. Trim extra fat, rinse and dry the pork butt roast. If over pounds, I generally cut the roast in half to allow it to cook faster and give more surface for a crusty outside.

2.  Coat outside of pork with Liquid Smoke. 

3. Prepare dry rub in small dish. 

4. Sprinkle rub onto pork with a spoon and rub into medium coat.

5. Place in large pan and cook in oven uncovered 375 degrees for 2 hours. Lower oven to 200 and cover with foil for 2-3 depending on the size. Add water in the pan if the pork is very lean. 


6.  Once the center of the pork reaches a temperature of between 190-200 degrees remove from oven and allow it to rest at least 15 minutes.

7. Pull the pork into shreds using two forks. Mix the pork in all the juices in the bottom of the pan. Enjoy with buns and top with your favorite BBQ sauce if you must.





Sharing Here: /Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box  /  Tuesday Talent Show @ Chef in Training  / Party Time @ the 36th Avenue  /   Two Girls and a Party @ Life with the Crust offParty Junk @ Funky Junk Interiors   /  Pin ME Party @ Diana Rambles  / Share it @ Winthrop Chronicles / /Strut your Stuff@ Six Sisters Stuff / Weekly Creative Party @The Creative Girl

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment